HVAF & HVOF
Kermetico HVAF and HVOF Thermal Spray Coating Equipment and Technology
Kermetico designs and manufactures HVAF and HVOF thermal spray coating equipment. Kermetico sprays with the the HVAF and HVOF equipment, in our shop in California, USA. Kermetico develops HVAF and HVOF application solutions in our job shop. Our entire HVOF HVAF product line has evolved from our spray shop work. Practical pragmatic thermal spray coating solutions serves as our real-world R&D lab.
Kermetico, Inc. manufacturers and builds in house HVAF and HVOF systems that operate a range of different velocity guns for the efficient spraying of tungsten carbide and metal coatings.
Our HVAF Carbide and metallic coatings sprayed with our Kermetico systems have high density and hardness, combined with excellent ductility. . This means outstanding wear and cavitation resistance of our impermeable, corrosion-resistant layers.
This high quality comes with lower coating costs. Kermetico HVAF systems use energy effectively, resulting in high spray rates and deposits per pass four to eight times higher than conventional HVOF.
We manufacture thermal spray equipment combining the advantages of both technologies: high quality + low cost of HVAF and compliance with HVOF standards.
Convertible HVOF and HVAF System: Operates in HVOF and HVAF modes
- C7 – an HVAF/HVOF system for spraying large parts
- C6 – a general purpose HVAF & HVOF gun
- CID – an HVAF & HVOF gun to spray internal diameters 80 mm (3.15″) and larger
- plus, can operate with all the AK guns
Multi-purpose HVAF AK systems, with a variety of spray guns:
- AK7 – a high-power gun for the thermal spray of large parts
- AK6 – a gun to spray tungsten and chromium carbide onto a balanced mix of parts
- AK5 – a compact gun to spray smaller parts, thin walls, and complex surfaces
- AK5-ID – a compact gun to spray internal surfaces 200 mm (8″) and larger
- AK-ID – an 80 mm and larger internal diameter spray gun
- AK-IDR – a rotating ID gun to spray 100 mm and larger bores
- AK-HH – a hand-held gun for on-site coating
- SL – a specialized gun for spraying low melting point metals
- SP – a dedicated gun for the most efficient precious metals deposition (spray silver, gold, platinum)
- STi – a specialized gun for the deposition of titanium and Ti-alloy coatings
- HVAF Blasting Grit Feeder: the grit blast preparation of parts to reduce coating cost
- Gas Permeability Tester for an instant check of a coating’s through porosity
- Powder De-Duster to remove fine particles from a metallic powder improves qualtity
Kermetico HVAF Coating Features
Kermetico HVAF carbide coatings are better than HVOF coatings for wear resistance, corrosion protection and production cost. The high speed of the in-flight particles (higher than 1,000 m/s) in our HVAF process makes ver dense coatings with high bond strength.
Kermetico HVAF coatings are gas tight. HVAF coatings make an impermeable barrier between an environment and the substrate. HVAF process has a low spraying temperature 1,960-2,010°C and gentle particle heating lead to minimal powder phase transformation, and no elemental depletion & decomposition of the in-flight particle. Instead of using pure oxygen like standard HVOF processes, Kermetico uses air in our HVAF, this significantly reduces the oxide content in HVAF coatings = better coating quality.
WC-10Co-4Cr Coating Features A Typical HVOF Kermetico HVAF HVOF System Modes
|Deposition efficiency, %
|Young’s Modulus E, GPa
|Apparent metallographic porosity
|Bond strength, MPa (PSI)
|Range of as-sprayed roughness
|µm (µ in.)
Kermetico HVAF & HVOF equipment produces WC-based coatings with the highest fracture toughness, exceeding known HVOF.
Since the primary mechanism of wear of tungsten carbide coatings is attributed to the material brittleness, Kermetico’s HVAF overlay exhibits better wear resistance than pure HVOF versions.
You are welcome to visit our Kermetico Thermal Spray R&D center near San Francisco to meet our designers and see our equipment in action.
We efficiently deposit wear resistant and corrosion resistant coatings for varied applications, including:
- HVAF HVOF hard chrome replacement
- corrosion-resistant tanks and vessel coatings
- Carbide erosion resistant coatings for pipes, elbows, and fittings
- coatings for rolls in steel and paper industries
- repair of industrial parts